[Dixielandjazz] Baby Won't You Please Come Home - Verse

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Dec 1 07:01:18 PST 2013

Giorgi wrote:

> Is the key for the verse of Baby Won't You Please
> Come Home really a semitone below the key of the
> chorus?
>
> Anderson has the verse in G and the chorus in A flat and the
> modulation between the two is not convincing.

The Anderson Collection does this on numerous tunes. Apparently, while
compiling the collection, Anderson would often get the verse and chorus from
two different sources, and just photocopy them into his collection. If they
happened to be in different keys when they shouldn't have been, he didn't to
the appropriate transpositions. I know that "Avalon" is the same way in
Anderson.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers