[Dixielandjazz] Telling a story

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 09:16:01 PDT 2013

I have many times read about this or taht band/musician being interesting
because "they tell a story."
I ws reminded of it last Thursday while playing "Boris Vian et son
orchestre avec Claude Luter."  It was recorded in 1944 and 1947, Luter
being absent from the later session.  In those days, Luter could hardly
play, and yet the record was very satisfied.  And then it dawned to me:
crude, sure, but they were telling a story!
Boris Vian was not a professional musician - he was a poet.
Now I must haste back to my turntable, playing an Alex Welsh LP!
Cheers