[Dixielandjazz] Syncopation

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 11:02:32 PDT 2013

I have always thought that syncopated music was based on the use of
syncopes.  However, today's word (I subscribe to "A Word a Day) was
"syncope," and the definition had nothing to so with music.  The definition
was:
 *noun*:
1. The shortening of a word by omission of sounds or letters from its
middle. For example, *did not* to *didn't* or *Worcester* to *Wooster*.
2. Fainting caused by insufficient blood flow to the brain.

An internet search did not bring other results.  AS I speak other languages
as well, and in those "syncopes" are indeed what sycopation is made of,
I've found it very strange indeed.
Cheers.