[Dixielandjazz] Marian McPartland jazz pianist/ broadcaster, dies at 95--NYTimes

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 13:03:58 PDT 2013

"Ms. McPartland worked for a while in her husband’s group, but he was a
tradition-loving Dixieland musician

and she was more interested in the harmonically sophisticated new sounds
coming from New York City,

where the McPartlands moved in 1949. "

Marian McPartland was referred to as "modern" when I was young.  Hence,
when I started to concentrate on traditional jazz, I would not listen to
her playing.
Was I wrong!  I heard her in Nice in 1976, at a piano concert I attended
because
of the pianist who was to follow her - Teddy Wilson.  So I sat  there - and
heard
fantastic piano performance by Ms. McPartland.  And could not understand why
critics gave her a bad name,  But then I remembered that they didthe same
Errol Garner, another pianist described as "modern" - in my book, a
four-letter
 word when applied to art (I was never good at counting).
She might not have been interested in traditional jazz, but she continued
playing
and recording with her ex-husband, and fitted extremely well with the
traditional
context.
Blessed be her memory

** **** ** <http://twitter.com/#%21/nytimesarts>