[Dixielandjazz] Top Norwegian Jazz Band on 40 year jubilee tour

Bob Smith robertjs at broadpark.no
Sun Aug 11 09:20:30 PDT 2013

"Ytre Suloeyns Jass-ensemble" -generally accepted as Norway's top jazz band (OKOM) - are playing concerts the length and breadth of Norway to celebrate their 40 years of continuous activity. Yesterday (Aug. 10), I was at their concert at the Hemnes Jazz Festival held at Hemnesberget just South of the Arctic Circle. Two of the original members of the band are still in the band, and all the newer members have continued the high standard this band has maintained throughout the 40 years of their existence. In addition they now have an extremely dynamic female vocalist who was born and bred in New Orleans, but who is now living in Norway. Tricia Boutté sings a wide range of songs from blues to Billie Holiday tunes. She 'embarassed' the trumpet player (Sturla Hauge Nilsen) by making him dance to her rendition of "Ballin' A Jack". She also commanded the audience to repeat the phrase "Shake that thing" while she sang the tune of the same name. Altogether the concert, consisting of 13 numbers, was excellent, and was further enhanced by a very competent sound engineer who handled the acoustics very well. PS. I've been without an Internet connection from April til now, so I'm gradually working through 1729 E-mails!Cheers Bob Smith