[Dixielandjazz] Think about it!! HJML...

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 13:31:16 PDT 2013

> I have just returned from a weeks Summer School at Marlborough College
> (UK). One of the courses I signed up for was `Jazz improvisation.`  I
> packed up the course on Thursday. I play Trad Jazz and  Swing and I am used
> to tunes having a beginning and an end with a middle eight. Generally
> played in 2/2, 2/4, or 3/4 time Not only was I out of my depth with some of
> the time signatures of the music we weresupposed to work on, my own fault
> perhaps, but the so called tunes  were written by people such as Sonny
> Rollins, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Chick Corea. Freddie Hubbard  Not only
> ,in my opinion was it not jazz, some of it I would not even consider to be
> music   at all.

Are you REALLY surprised, Pat?  Nowadays, most ot what schools teach as
"jazz" starts with Coltrane!  Schools even tell people that the clarinet is
not a jazz instrument!
As to tunes - I recommend the French Anachronic Jazz BAnd.  That band
(recently resurrected) playd (plays?) "modern" tunes in hot two-beat" style.
Oh, I wholehertedly agree with you as to the stuff not being music.
Cheers