[Dixielandjazz] Jim Cullum Jazz Band - Porgy and Bess

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 14:15:34 PDT 2013

Dear Don,
I know that the record has not been reissued.
I heard the programme when it was broadcat.  Actually, I prefer continuous
music without talk, so that I was not too happy with the narrator.  But
there was no faulting the music!
It is difficult to compare performances like that; after all, the band was
different than the band on the CD.  I do not really remember, but I have
the feeling that the bass player was not the only one who had not been on
the original version (which had the benefit of no talk whatsoever).
I have not seen "Show Boat."  In fact, in 1951 no American films were
screened in Poland; the only exception I recall was "The Salt of the
Earth," which showed "class struggle" (it was about a strike of exploited
Mexican workers), and therefore "Kosher" for showing in a communist
country.  We did see French and Italian films, and some British, but
Hollywood was strictly out!  I did not see any Westerns before I left
Poland, although in 1956 they resumed publication of American books, and
even showing American films - in Warsaw, but not in Wroclaw wher we lived.
At least, jazz becam "kosher" around 1953, and I got hooked either then or
in 1954.
Cheers