[Dixielandjazz] Happy Birthday april 25

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Apr 26 18:54:28 PDT 2013

1917: Ella Fitzgerald

Ella Fitzgerald Commemorated by Google Doodle
by David Batty
London Guardian, April 24, 2013
Ella Fitzgerald, whose great vocal range and perfect pitch won her the monikers 'the
first lady of song' and 'the queen of jazz', has been commemorated in a Google doodle:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/25/ella-fitzgerald-commemorated-google-doodle
The doodle, which shows the American singer performing on stage, is published on
what would have been her 96th birthday. Fitzgerald was born on 25 April 1917 and
died on 15 June 1996 at the age of 79.
In a career that spanned six decades, Fitzgerald recorded with other great figures
including Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Louis Armstrong.
Her repertoire included jazz, show tunes, bossa nova and opera.
Recording more than 200 albums -- with sales of 40m -- and winning 13 Grammy awards,
she is best known for her series of Songbook albums, celebrating songwriters such
as Ellington, Cole Porter and the Gershwins.
Her rise to fame was spurred by regular guest appearances on several major US TV
shows, including the Bing Crosby Show, the Frank Sinatra Show, the Ed Sullivan Show,
the Tonight Show, the Nat King Cole Show, the Andy Willams Show and the Dean Martin
Show.
In 1987, US president Ronald Reagan awarded her the national medal of arts.
She gave her final concert at New York's Carnegie Hall in 1991.

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

Having more money doesn't make you happier. I have 50 million dollars but I'm just
as happy as when I had 48 million. ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger.