[Dixielandjazz] Come-on a-my house (was Bria Skonberginterviewed...)

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Wed Apr 17 18:33:33 PDT 2013

I remember an interview with Ms. Clooney where she stated that she hated
that recording. The A&R man for Columbia, Mitch Miller, insisted that she
record it with the pseudo-Italian accent. Clooney deeply regretted making
it. She considered it an ethnic insult to her Italian heritage.

This brings up the power of A&R men at the old major studios. Sinatra hated
Miller. You couldn't put the two of them in a room without Sinatra going at
Miller for making him record with dogs and do other novelty recordings in
the late 1940s. Sinatra blamed Miller for the decline of his career.

History records that Columbia dropped Sinatra around 1952, and Jo Stafford
suggested to him that he move to Capitol and the rest is history. Sinatra
recording his masterworks at Capitol in the mid-and late 1950s. He left
around 1961 to form Reprise records where he became the "Chairman of the
Board."

Interestingly enough, after advising Sinatra to move to Capitol, Stafford
moved from Capitol to Columbia in the mid-50s to record some of her best
work.

Jack Bryce
Sax, Clarinet
Still one of Littlefield's Minions