[Dixielandjazz] "Drummerless" bands [was "Turk Murphy"]

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Apr 17 17:01:04 PDT 2013

Paul Edgerton wrote:

> ... It's true that a poor drummer is a detriment to the ensemble,

Amen!

> ... but a good one does much more than just keep time. He
> sets the prevailing dynamic level. Along with the bass, he
> defines the feel. He highlights the structure of the music by
> changing color, density, and dynamics. He listens to,
> interacts with and lights a fire under a soloist. A good
> drummer knows when to stay out of the way, and when
> to kick it up.

Unfortunately, I've heard too many drummers in Trad Jazz bands who set the
prevailing dynamic level far too loud, and who don't know how to stay out of
the way. My impression (not supported by anything) is that most of the
drummers who fall in to this category are either (1) older folks who played
a lot of big band drums when they were young, and still play as if they were
in a 20-piece band, not a 7-piece band; or (2) younger folks who played a
lot of rock drums when they were younger, and still play as if all the other
instruments were funneled through a semi-load of amps and speakers. As for
"staying out of the way," I often hear the opposite -- too many fills, all
of them too complex and too loud.

> (Hal Smith, I'm looking at you.)

If I could have Hal Smith as my drummer, I'd do it in a heartbeat! But I'd
have to move to Texas, and that's a whole 'nother issue.... :-)

> Importantly, the 'he' I referred to above needn't be male --
> Beth Goodfellow being Exhibit A.

Agreed!

> I enjoy playing in "drummerless" bands, but I'll take a
> good drummer every time I can get one.

Most of my drumming is in "drummerless" bands: The Zinfandel Stompers (my
group) uses a drummer only when the client requests it. Ted Shafer's Jelly
Roll Jazz Band (the 6-piece band) has no drummer. Ted Shafer's Jelly Roll
Jazz Band (the 9-piece version) uses a drummer, usually Bert Thompson, and
Bert plays the 1920's style very authentically -- to the point that he
doesn't use a hi-hat....

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers