[Dixielandjazz] "Drummerless" bands [was "Turk Murphy"]

Bert Thompson dr_bert at juno.com
Sun Apr 14 13:15:38 PDT 2013

In a short piece I wrote on "drumerless" bands some time back, this was the closing paragraph:       A jazz band without a (good) drummer is like a creature without a
pulse, or at best a weak one, as far as I am concerned.  Among celebrated
jazz bands that eschewed drummers was Turk Murphy’s, and I don’t for a
moment suggest they were not a good band in any of their configurations.
But they were a better one when they had Thad Vandon or Lloyd Byassee
or Wayne Jones in the back line.  It was no accident, I believe, that Murphy
opted not to go drummerless (as he certainly could have) at one of the high
points, if not the highest, of his career: the Carnegie Hall Concert.  I haven't changed my mind.  Regards,   Bert Thompson