[Dixielandjazz] FW: Turk Murphy

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Apr 14 09:32:45 PDT 2013

Marek wrote:
>Hal Smith might have been great on the album.  But would he ADD anything?

When Turk played without drums the tuba & banjo took care of the
downbeat/upbeat thing.  It worked fine on his recordings.  Dunno about live,
as when I saw him live he was using a drummer.

I've played with & without drums.  I prefer "with" if it is a good drummer.
The general audience prefers with, period! I believe even Turk had problems
with this little fact of life.  People like to see/hear a drummer in a Jazz
band!

I've heard tales of a drummer being painted on the wall of the bandstand in
Seal Beach, California, in fact, when Turk felt the demands of his audience.
I lived in Seal Beach, but the club was gone by the time I moved there, so I
can't verify that.

Jim