[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee's home in Wimbledon, North Dakota

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Sep 25 08:21:28 PDT 2012

Peggy Lee's Daughter Visits Artist's Former Home
by Brian Willhide
Jamestown (North Dakota) Sun, September 20, 2012
It was an emotional trip back in time Wednesday for Nicki Lee Foster, daughter of
famous jazz artist Peggy Lee.
Foster, 68, traveled nearly 1,100 miles from Twin Falls, Idaho, along with her son
David to get her first look at the Midland Continental Railroad Depot Transportation
Museum in Wimbledon. The depot was home to Foster's mother from 1934 to 1937 prior
to the Jamestown-born artist launching a more than 60-year career as a singer, songwriter
and actress.
A tribute to Lee and her career is now on display on the second floor of the museum
for the public to see.
Foster was unable to attend the grand opening of the museum back in May because she
was still recovering from a broken femur she suffered about three years ago.
"I didn't know if I was ever going to see it," Foster said. "I had to work really
hard with my physical therapist to get to the point where I could be here today."
This marked Foster's first vacation trip away from her Idaho home in three years.
After touring the renovated depot with family, friends, volunteers and depot renovation
committee members for about 2 1/2 hours Wednesday, Foster sat down to discuss her
impressions of what she saw.
"For a community this size to put together something of this quality is just extraordinary,"
she said.
Foster reflected on what her mother would think about seeing the museum if the famous
entertainer was still alive today.
"She would be so happy. She would just love it," Foster said. "I honestly think she
would be both astounded and delighted."
Seeing the museum also brought back personal memories from Foster's childhood.
"As I went through earlier, there were a lot of things that had personal meaning
to me also. There were gowns, shoes and hats I can remember her wearing -- things
I'd look at and say 'I remember that,'" Foster said. "In a way, it was like I was
looking at my own history, too."
When Lee passed away in January 2002, Foster said it was important the family stayed
close together and tried to preserve her memory.
"We knew it was our job to make sure her memory would carry on, and that's what you
all have done here," Foster said, speaking to the depot volunteers and renovation
committee members who were present Wednesday.
Foster said now that the museum exists, it will go a long way toward helping achieve
a family goal they've had since Lee's death.
"This is about keeping her legacy going and being able to have newer generations
respect and appreciate her," she said. "After all, she was a Renaissance woman --
she did everything."
Since opening to the public Memorial Day weekend, 558 people have come through the
museum, representing 33 states and foreign countries such as Mexico and Canada in
addition to the continent of Africa.
"That's just those that have come through and signed the guest book," said Mary Beth
Orn, treasurer of the museum and daughter of Myrna Bultema -- whose estate donated
$20,000 to kick off the depot restoration project back in 2007.
The Midland Continental Railroad Depot Transportation Museum is now only open by
appointment until next summer. For more information, visit
http://midlandcontinentaldepot.com/Home.html
Photo:
http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/article/id/169640/

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

The crime of taxation is not in the taking of it. It's in the way it's spent.
--Will Rogers March 20, 1932