[Dixielandjazz] Typical Musician $ Plight

Phil Wilking arnold.wilking at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 22:32:26 PDT 2012

You are correct about the pay rates for musicians in New Orleans. Our better
players make a better living playing in Europe than at home.

As for hiring a brass band, have you heard any of the current gaggles of
younger people in the New Orleans area who call themselves "brass bands?"
(Not the bands  from 2 or more generations ago.) I live here and I have
heard them. They'd have to pay ME $300+ to listen to them for 30 minutes,
AND buy me a shooting range quality set of "Mickey Mouse" ear protectors to
use while I did it. And the tourists applaud them!!!

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.