[Dixielandjazz] Glenn Miller - Blues and the Abstract Truth -

Steve Heist steveheist at videotron.ca
Tue Sep 18 12:16:48 PDT 2012

Hi all,
Things don't change much over the years...  In the early 70's, I was playing
at the Ramada Inn "Speakeasy" in St. Louis - at the time, hottest
restaurant/bar in St. Louis.  I needed a trombone player, and one night I
called Leon King from the famous Singleton Palmer band to sit in for a
night.  He was so fantastic and the crowd LOVED him, so I hired him on the
spot.  A week later the manager of the club called me into the office and
said, "Is Leon going to be a regular?"  I told him, "I certainly hope so,
he's phenomenal!"  The manager looked me right in the eye and said, "BUT
HE'S BLACK!!!"  I was literally stunned.  Then I got mad.  I looked him
right in the eye and said, "Well, it's either the band WITH Leon, or no band
at all!!"  Fortunately for us all, he backed down...
Another time in the 80's, in New Orleans, I was on a job with Papa French
and it was at a country club which shall remain nameless.  We went to the
front door and the doorman looked at me and said, "YOU can come in, but the
rest of the band has to go to the back kitchen door..."  I just looked at
him and said, "No thanks, I'm with the band..."  and we all went around the
back...  It seems I've had to fight bigotry in the music business all my
life and I'm sure it still goes on...
Steve