[Dixielandjazz] Jack Wiard in Lodi

Art Wood artwoo at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 10:23:24 PDT 2012

Jack and Sheena were in the city earlier this week and I had a chance to see them. We were classmates at San Francisco State University in the 60's. Jack laid his trad roots playing with Burt Bales, Brian Richardson and Bill Maginnis, Norma Teagarden and many others in the bay area. I listened to him quite often in clubs like "Burb Hollow" in North Beach owned by a character named Milio Milleti and also at "Ye Olde Rose and Thistle" on Calif St. Jack left California to accept a teaching job in Australia in 1971 and entered and won pub contests which led to an extremely successful trad jazz career in Au with Graeme Bell for 25yrs and Ray Price for 5yrs. and many other groups. He is a world class player who deserves all the success he has earned. I am honored to know Jack as a friend. Sincerely, Art Wood

Bob Romans <cellblk7 at comcast.net> wrote:

Our clarinet playing mate from Australia, Jack Wiard, is in Lodi for a few
days.it's his 50th high school class reunion. My wife and and I spent 2
hours visiting with him and his wife yesterday. Jack grew up in Lodi and
moved down-under in order to make a living playing OKOM. darn it, he can't
sit in with us at out twice-a-month BBQ gig tomorrow since he'll be flying
home!

Here he is at the Bix Festival-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFdy6Wg2vA

What a great life to able to communicate so easily with our far-flung
friends.

Warm Regards

Bob Romans

Cell Block 7 Jazz Band