[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Shorty

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Sep 17 03:02:41 PDT 2012

This name, Trombone Shorty, has been brought to my attention a number of
times.  I listened to bits of a few videos, but mainly saw improvisation
normally over one chord for endless periods, and gave up.

However, I now find that the man is most likely really a trumpeter.  My
guess is that that was his main instrument, and somehow he got the nickname
of "trombone". He's not necessarily short, either, so go figure!

Listen to this rather interesting version of "Sunnyside of The Street" with
Troy (his real name) on trumpet. I personally like it a lot, and his various
musical references to Louis Armstrong show he has listened to the old stuff!
Stick with the video to the end...please!..., it's worth it.  He improvises
with just the guitar backing in the middle of the video, which is very
tasty.

There is a bit towards the end displaying "circular breathing".  Ok!  It's a
trick, but it's a good trick!  Not easy to do, and the crowd loves it, which
is what it's all about!!!
I find this guy very good & very entertaining.  A nice mix of old & newer
sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSHTuQGyf8&feature=related

Jim