[Dixielandjazz] Marie Laveau

RickeyZ rickz at usermail.com
Mon Sep 10 13:12:28 PDT 2012

And let's hoist a brew to Shel Silverstein (RIP) who wrote the song, and
Bobby Bare, who made it a hit.

You can hear the tune here, MKOM, if not OKUM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpZzehuWdM4

When I was down in Belize, I had a big black lady who loved to do that
scream when we played the tune.

Mojo (as in "Mojo Bone") means "Magic" in Kriol... as used in this
wonderful Bobby Darin tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6cSepmXXE

Bobby doesn't sing my favorite verse
"I'm goin' down to Louisiana,  Get me a mojo hand.
I'm going to have all these women, locked under my command"

"Mojo Hand" is the same as "Mojo Bone", chicken feathers and all.
In Belize,  they believe in all that stuff.

Anyway, maybe YKOM??

Rick Jolley
Colorado Nighthawks,
Colorado Spgs