[Dixielandjazz] CORNET //TRUMPET

Brian Gail briangail at kinect.co.nz
Mon Oct 29 12:42:01 PDT 2012

I started off on cornet in brass bands back in the early 50s  and used a trumpet when I got into dance bands  however in the past 25 odd years
I have switched back to cornet probably   because I am  now playing with small combo’s .  When I play in a Dixie unit I change my mouthpiece
to  a trumpet one that gives me a sharper tone and more projection.
Some years ago I played a Festival and they had a street march and finished up with a combined mass playing some Dixie number
when it was over a guy came up to me and enquired what instrument I had been playing ,when I told him it was a cornet he said
that's amazing I could hear your  playing above all the rest, and that was on a cornet . I always have had a strong tone and put that down to
using a mute for my combo work  the cornet also allows me to play with a mellow tone with my deeper mouthpiece

I use a Lewington McCann  cornet mouthpiece and a converted  Neil Sanders Contour trumpet mouthpiece for driving Dixie music

Long live the cornet

    B C GEOGHAN