[Dixielandjazz] "Steve Allen Show" in color

Hal Vickery hvickery_80 at msn.com
Sun Oct 28 06:56:23 PDT 2012

I had forgotten that NBC had moved the Steve Allen Show to Monday nights.  I remember it as being on Sundays opposite Ed Sullivan.  My dad liked Allen more than he did Sullivan, so we watched Steverino (as Louis Nye called him as his "Man on the Street" character Gordon Hathaway from Manhattan.
One thing I noticed was the name of the production company for the show:  Bell Meadows.  I imagine the Bell came from Steve's mother whose stage name was Belle Montrose.  (I"ve always wondered if she took her last name from the Chicago street.)  The Meadows was obviously from his wife.

Out here in the sticks where I live, I've only had the opportunity to see Tony Bennett perform once, with Woody Herman's band a few years before Woody died.  He was amazing.
Hal Vickery