[Dixielandjazz] FW: Tuba Skinny

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 17 08:18:57 PDT 2012

Hi, Kent.  Your remarks (see following) describing this group were so
unusual it made me want to go to the link...which I did.

You wrote:
>Tuba Skinny is a young group that avoids the Armstrong repertoire. You
probably wouldn't call this Dixieland, it's a little too gritty.

I don't understand why you said they "avoid" Armstrong?  Maybe it needs more
investigation than one video to uderstand their aim in repertoire?  Nor, did
I find them necessarily "gritty".  Maybe a bit "bare", but it sounded like
Dixie to me.

Gritty can be good!  Take Turk Murphy's trombone for gritty at its best.

These names are getting weirder by the minute.  I recently wrote about
Trombone Shorty.  Now, we've got Tuba Skinny.  What's next?

Jim