[Dixielandjazz] FW: swinging prestissimo

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Oct 14 12:21:25 PDT 2012

I started this thread ages ago, and Marek recently jumped in saying that
probably only a few of the greats could make it happen....swing at really
fast tempos.  This subject all came about from comments I've heard over the
past that really fast songs don't swing.  Then, I found a youtube video with
Benny Goodman playing at a full tilt & with swing, and used that as an
example that up tempo can be great.

I maintain that if a band is made up of people equally qualified on their
horns, they can make a piece swing at a top tempo.  It is more down to
togetherness, or tightness, than anything.  If those in the band are
technically able to handle the tempo, then there is no reason it can't
swing.  Why would they have to be famous, old masters to make it happen?

Jim