[Dixielandjazz] Von Freeman

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 16:21:15 PDT 2012

I wonder how many of you know the late Von Freeman.
Usually he was described as a pioneer of be-bop in Chicago, or as a
"hard bopper," but that, as the Jazz on the Tube people say, that's
like referring to Michaelangelo as "painter of ceilings."

Because of his reputation, I did not listen to Von Freeman (not too
many records were available either), until  one year he appeared in
Israel in the "Swing" section of a series devoted to the history of
jazz.  In his introduction, Dani Gottfied, a jazz pianist and the
organizer and the MC of the series, introduced him as a pioneer of
be-bop in Chicago but harking back to the big band era and a capable
swinger.  Von Freeman indeed proved that he could swing with the best
of them.  And what a tone!  None of the boppish runs, none of the 'too
many notes - too fast" business, just honest to God swing!

I was reminded by a recently (3rd October) posted video of Von Freeman
beautifully playing "BEwitched, Bothered and Bewildered" (I'm
listening for the second time in a row while writing).

Cheers