[Dixielandjazz] Big Mama Thornton

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Oct 6 13:45:10 PDT 2012

From: Bill Haesler
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 4:12 PM
To: Bob Ringwald
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Big Mama Thornton

Bob Smith wrote [snipped]:
> ...Big Mama Thornton's "Hound Dog"... BMT singing accompanied by guitar, string bass, and drums. I assume that the bass is Milt Hinton and the drummer Jo Jones, but the Tom Lord discography doesn't list a guitar player. I also assume that this recording is from the live concert at Carnegie Hall on January 15, 1967.
> The guitar player is very prominent on this recording, and it does sound as though BMT shouts encouragement,,,possibly using .his/her name...

Dear Bob,
You did not identify which source recording you are listening to.
The Spirituals to Swing 30th Anniversary Concert, and the Cafe Society All Stars, has
Buck Clayton (trumpet) Edmond Hall (clarinet ) Buddy Tate (tenor sax) Ray Bryant (piano) Milt Hinton (bass) and Jo Jones (drums).
Recorded by Columbia
I have the Australian CBS 2BP 220092 release with album notes by Don DeMichael.
With this version of "Hound Dog":
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfgok7fMcs

Hey Bill, this one really swung.
--Bob Ringwald
As you say, there is no guitar listed in the current Tom Lord discography.
Nor is there one given for the concert in Bob Weir's 'Buck Clayton Discography' (1989. Storyville Publications).
So what do my ears tell me?
No guitarist  - and no vocal encouragement to one.
Are you, perhaps, listening to this BMT 1952 version?
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_k9LEUBeQ&feature=related
A Peacock 78rpm disc.
Very kind regards,
Bill.