[Dixielandjazz] Re UK Music Law Changes

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 09:57:16 PDT 2012

Hi all,

The proposed changes apply to England, not the UK (there is a very unsubtle distinction which is general missed by all but the Scots, Welsh and Ulster folk). The previous legislation restricting the number of performers and requiring specific entertainment licences never did apply in Scotland, where we have a more enlightened approach to music in pubs etc. We also have the distinct benefit that our legal system is independent of the UK parliament in London. Noise nuisance issues in Scotland are covered under everyday Civil Law provisions. I'm not sure how Wales and Northern Ireland are affected, but both, like Scotland, have their own Parliaments and Governments responsible for matters devolved from the UK parliament, although both are subject to English Law, so they may have been stuck with that crazy English regulation. One rule that does apply to pub gigs anywhere in the UK and Northern Ireland is that the money will be crap!

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson