[Dixielandjazz] Stan Greig Obituary

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 14:52:12 PST 2012

Hi Robert et al,

Robert wrote: "Campbell Burnap was indeed an Englishman..." however Campbell himself would have pointed out that his English birth was an accident of geography as his full name of Campbell Crichton McKinnon Burnap might indicate. His family on both sides were Scottish and, through his father's work, the family moved back and forth between Glasgow and Derby for years before and after he was born. I met him in Sacto when he was playing with the Merseysippies and I was with Fat Sam. The two bands were staying in the same hotel and there were some hilarious late-night anecdote and joke sessions in the bar and a memorable all-night alfresco party in the car park courtesy of a local Sacto Jubilee worthy, Bart, who very generously turned up with a pick-up truck loaded with booze and ice. I say it was memorable only in the sense that I can remember it happening but all details had vanished by breakfast-time. If anyone had had a tape recorder they would have got enough material to start a career as a comedian.

Campbell was unfailingly good company, an amiable and entertaining raconteur and a highly experienced musician in jazz's earlier styles. UK listmates will also remember him as an accomplished radio presenter of jazz programmes where good musical taste was guaranteed. Although he lived much of his life in England, he had also spent some years in New Zealand, Australia and USA, so he was really an international world citizen who eventually settled inh England. By a piece of serendipity he also finished up possessing Vic Dickenson's trombone, but that's another story.

Cheers,

Ken