[Dixielandjazz] Thanks, banjo......

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Thu Nov 22 13:33:03 PST 2012

I don't know gibson 4-strings that well, but based on what I know from
their guitars and 5-strings, there should be a serial number on the
headstock, probably on the back, and may be a model name on the plate
covering the truss rod (top of the neck) or on the tail-piece (if it
has one)  Probably one good picture sent to Mandolin Bros or Elderly
would either find out our lead to someone there asking more specific
questions.

one basic feature that is directly proportional to the value is the
weight of the tone-ring, the nickle (usual) ring just under the drum
head.  If the thing takes some effort to lift, that's a good sign, but
if the tone ring is aluminum (not likely in a Gibson) that's a bad
sign.

--
Have Blog, Will Travel: blog.teledyn.com
A Serviceable Substitute: post.teledyn.com