[Dixielandjazz] 1st Mardi Gras Gig

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Sat Nov 10 18:58:16 PST 2012

Larry:

I don't know where you live or the age range of the people who hired you for a Mardi Gras Event.

#1  Ask them what kind of dance tunes they want, if they  this can vary greatly depending upon the age bracket and the age of the event planners or organizing committee.   They are not very often very musical savvy.

#2. Go search you tube for Mardi Gras Music and listen to the songs and groups and see if your band is actually capable of playing that kind of music, most bands with your instrumentation are not without a hot drummer or two.

#3.  Many people hire Dixieland bands for Mardi Gras events who have never been to Mardi Gras  or know anything about it.

My band plays about 14 Mardi Gras events a year for a lot of money, feel free to check us out and see what most Mardi Gras folks are looking for.

By the way most Traditional Jazz Society talent buyers will not even hire us :))

Cheers and good luck.

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
not your average Dixieland band .