[Dixielandjazz] Lead in Brass

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Thu Nov 8 05:49:11 PST 2012

Bob Smith wrote on 08/11/2012 12:32:41:

> As a qualified metallurgist (but now retired), I can state that lead is
not
> one of the alloying elements in brass.

I'm not sure how brass instruments are made, but if they are soldered, it
is likely there is some lead in the solder (although modern solders are
now
lead free).

But this is so small I would have thought you were far more likely to
get lead poisoning from all the other sources of lead in our environment.
Like petrol, paint and water pipes, all now lead free, but you will
have been exposed to plenty before they became lead free.

Certainly not a reason to change your blowing habits.

Andy Ling