[Dixielandjazz] RADIO OKOM substitutes

Art Wood artwoo at aol.com
Fri Nov 2 17:35:23 PDT 2012

Hi Don: 3 stations that i listen to are, (using tunein radio app on my android smartphone): 1 . WGHB Jazz Decades (Ray Smith Archives) 2. Classic Jazz on JAZZRADIO and 3. (via Live 365) Dixieland Gumbo.

There are also podcasts...try Judy Carmichael (great stride player) who interviews contemporary jazz artists ala Marian McPartland. One of her recent shows had Chico Hamilton which i think every drummer should hear.

 Brian Harvey (England) and Peter Cowden (Australian Jazzology)  used to have podcasts, but I am not sure if they are still active. Jeff Healey had a radio show which may still be available.

Of local interest Bay Area interest is Mal Sharpe on KCSM every Sunday at 9PM. He features trad jazz along with his dry sense of humor.

Another great source is Dave Radlauer's mp3 radio broadcasts: http://www.jazzhotbigstep.com/

I also listen to Rhapsody and Spotify which carry a wide variety of jazz recordings. You have to pay $10 a month for these services, but they are worth it. Spotify has a great collection of English Trad Jazz selections and other European groups.

Hope this helps fill in the void created by the downfall of Radio OKOM.

Good Luck!
Art Wood