[Dixielandjazz] Growing the Jazz Audience Can't be Done--Thom Botsford responds

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:06:08 PDT 2012

Give us a break!
We have been meeting to listen to jazz for more years than I care to
remember!  And I did not start it, although I've been carrying the
torch since the last Hayim Ofer's passing about 40 years ago.  An only
on of us is a musician (not a jazz player), although Ms. Nava
Pasternak has a jazz programme on the Israeli 88FM radio.  Anyway, it
is we who finance the living of the musicians.

And at least some of us would not listen to so-called "modern jazz" (I
am not going to enter yet again into a futile discussion of the term
or the quotation marks around it).

Expensive?  Not half as expensive as pop, at least in this country.

I don't know whether any of us would dring white Zin, but I rather
doubt it.  Since the jazz evenings are our spiritual meetings, we
drink mostly spirits, although there are at least two beer drinkers
(and not strong beer at that).  Often wine, too, is served, but it is
a relatively new development.
The person who wrote the original must have a rather limited knowledge
of malts (malt Scotch for Americans); otherwise he would have known
that some pure malt blends are better than quite a few single malts,
albeit not the best of them (yours truly cannot take The Glenlivet,
for example, and finds Laphroaig much too peaty).
Cheers