[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:20:06 PDT 2012

Less than an hour ago I came back from a piano-trumpet gig for
dancers.  Entrance was free, but there was the "kitty" to feed.
The panist Nahum Preferkovich has been at it for many years; I must
have known him for over thirty.  The trumpeter Eli Preminger is much
younger, and is the leader of the New Orleans Function.
The yworked so well together!  Not that it was the first time - they
have done so before.  Nahum guested with the NOF, and played with a
small contingent therefrom at the Shafa Bar in Old Jaffa
(unfortunately, I missed that one).  I am happy to say that the gig
was excellent!  Nahum's version of "Kitten on the Keys" was really
outstanding!  After the intermission, the two protagonists were joined
by the singer Yael Rassuli, who sometimes sings with the NOF.
And the audience!  I raised the average age level by a lot!  Other
than I, there was a couple of friends; all the rest was young,
although there might have been some "oldsters" of 30!  At first, my
friends and I were all the audience.  But the (small) place filled up
very fast.  They came to dance and they did, both inside and on the
street, by the open door.  And at the end of each number gave the
musicians a tumultous applause.  They really enjoyed the music!  But
then, most of them must have seen the gig advertised on Eli's Facebook
page - many follow his band and hence get his announcement.  Those who
are not on facebook but only on the NOF mailing list, like yours
truly, only got the announcement on the day of the performance (but I
had known about it for a while, through a person who is on Facebook).
Another very enjoyable evening of live music.
Good beer, too.  In addtion to the usual, the place (Piano Bar) serves
Shapira, a Jerusael minibrewery beer.  The stout was good, and the
pale ale - excellent.  Unfortunately, served too cold, but nothing
that defied resolving by leaving the beer out of the refrigerator for
a while.
Cheers