[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Showmanship

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 26 08:00:34 PDT 2012

Hello Tim,

> If they were into it for the music, they'd be trying to play it themselves or going to a Bach recital

I listen exclusively to jazz, and only traditional (including swing).
And I am there for the music; actually, when I became a jazz fan (at
about 12-13) and for many years to come I considered dancing to jazz
sacrilege.
In 1959 I saw Armstrong in Tel-Aviv.   Armstrong was not in good
health and could hardly play.  Trummy Young moved his slide with his
foot, which torned me off listening to him; I considered him a clown,
not a musician.  Only after listening quite a few times to Armstrong's
Handy album (at least then years later) I realized that there was a
fantastic trombone solo, and that it was Trummy Young who played it.
I missed some 10 years of listening to Young because of the clowning.
Of course, I was a young, eager, fanatical and unexperienced fan, but
very unlikely the only one who reacted like that.  Don't forget that
many revivalists considerd jazz art, not dancing music.
Cheers