[Dixielandjazz] Growing the Jazz Audience Can't be Done; Maybe That's Okay-- blog

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat May 26 04:18:48 PDT 2012

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list;  DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

I came across this long blog by "Kokatu." I'm unfamiliar with the writer or
the blog.  He states that he was a high school teacher who taught jazz to
his students.  He and colleagues enlarged the program, had students playing
jazz but he felt that most did not become jazzfans.  He quotes
Ellenberger-this was a blog on NPR about difficulty of growing a jazz
audience.  Nice discussion which will have limited appeal to most  members
on this list.  However, it should be of interest to those interested In jazz
education and Jazz Society members who hope to increase their audiences.
I'll be interested in your clear and incisive thinking on this subject.

Here's the link:

http://kotaku.com/5913112/growing-the-jazz-audience-cant-be-done-maybe-thats
-okay

--End--