[Dixielandjazz] FW: Showmanship

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue May 22 00:51:56 PDT 2012

Well, since Bob Ringwald has brought up the subject of showmanship again, I
will now comment to the fact that I have since seen youtube videos of Havens
on his back.  Surprisingly, he held the slide by putting his shoe in between
the slide.  I don't really see how he could get much control that way, but
he managed.

I remove my shoe & sock, which draws people's attention...wondering what is
going on, and then put the slide between my toes, down by the spit valve.  I
can do practically anything with my foot I can do with my hand as far as
slide execution goes this way. (Hint: if you try this, jeans are not the
best pants to be wearing...too tight to get good action!)

And, THERE is the MUST part of being showey, or whatever you want to call
it.  Any stunt done should not impair on the quality of the music!  If it
does, it is just a stunt.  Plus, I only do it when the occasion calls for
it.  If the mood is wrong, it is just a stunt.

One could say that it is wrong that a band be remembered for such a trick,
but the real trick is to have a band that is remembered.  The general public
is going to remember "that little extra bit" before they recall that in the
15th bar of so & so song, someone played this unbelieveably great chord.
Sorry, that just doesn't happen.

This year we're celebrating our 45th year of continuous music....and
entertainment.

Jim