[Dixielandjazz] FW: Festival

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat May 19 01:14:23 PDT 2012

Phil wrote:
>That's northern Memorial Day. Confederate Memorial Day is different.

I spent one year of my three years of High School in a school in St.
Petersburg, Florida.  That was having spent my life up until then in Long
Beach, California.  Was I ever surprised to find that all the heroes from
the Civil War in California were suddenly the bad guys!  That was 55 yrs
ago.  Don't tell me there is still a division of thought?

They treated the whole Civil War thing differently here in Spain (1936 to
1939).  The whole period, including 40 yrs of dictatorship, just
disappeared.  Young people are not taught any of it!

Remembering too much or forgetting too much is not good.

Music connection:  The Battle Hymn of the Republic & Cara al Sol

Jim