[Dixielandjazz] Israeli Jazz in NYC

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 07:49:25 PDT 2012

Perhaps the reason there is no Trad, Classic or whatever we choose to
call early jazz, in the israeli jazz program at the UN  and around NYC
is the simple fact that there is no audience (OK, hardly any audience)
for it these days. Plus the fact that there are precious few Israeli
jazz musicians living in NYC who play, for want of a better word,
Dixieland.

When discussing the Israeli jazz in NYC program we should note what is
the goal. We might re-read what the Israeli Ambassador said about the
program:

> "Jazz became the world?s music long ago," said Susan E. Rice, the
> United
> States ambassador to the United Nations, in that organization's
> General
> Assembly hall on Monday night. "There is by now a rich tradition of
> Nordic
> jazz. There's South Asian jazz, there's Russian jazz and Chinese
> jazz."

and what the article added:

> and if her quick catalog left out Israeli jazz, that was
> probably just as well: no need to state the obvious. Over the last
> 15 years,
> Israel has produced and exported so many serious young musicians
> that the
> jazz landscape is hard to picture without their influence,
> particularly in
> New York and especially now.

Since this festival includes lots of local Jewish and some Israeli
musicians, who would be there in NYC to play Dixieland? Woodie Allen?
Let's not forget that many on this list consider his music an
embarrassment to jazz. My point is simple, It is an ISRAELI Jazz
Festival. With Israeli and/or Jewish musicians. Just a couple actually
from Israel and most from NYC. So guess what? Like most jazz musicians
around the world, they are not playing Dixieland. And, as jazz
musicians, they have an inherent right to play what they damn please.

We have two choices in my view.

#1 Continue being defensive about OKOM and how it is ignored. Are we
thereby going to change the facts of musical life by continually
moaning about it and/or the general public's poor musical tastes? I
don't think so. We've been doing that for years despite the classic
the definition of insanity:  Doing the same thing over and over again
with the expectation that the result will change.

#2 Do something about OKOM. By that I mean get pro-active in bringing
it to the people. Update the genre like some of those young bands are
doing.

No OKOM at the UN or in NYC within the Israeli Jazz Program? "Tough
Noogies" as the late Bill Gunter might have said. Get over it.

As an aside:  Why not August 4 for International jazz day? Because
that date though Louis Armstrong's birthday, does not fall with April
which has been "Jazz Appreciation Month"  for a while now. Plus the
fact that Louis, great as he was, did not invent jazz, Bechet was an
earlier and some say better,soloist, and a whole host of other folks
have made other significant contributions to jazz. Let's honor them all.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband