[Dixielandjazz] Classical Musicians from the Philly Pops

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 17:11:53 PDT 2012

On May 5, 2012, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote: (polite snip)

> "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote:
>
> To hear classical musicians from The Philly Pops Orchestra jamming
> with us
> tune into Youtube and type in "our philly friends".  That'll prove
> that any
> general rule is not really applied to everyone.
>
> Jim

I agree with Jim that general rules do not apply to everyone.

By the same token, the Philly Pops musicians are quite different from
the Philadelphia Orchestra Musicians. I would not limit Pops musicians
by calling them classical musicians. Many of them also play Dixieland
Jazz, American Songbook, Dance, Straight Ahead Jazz and other musical
genres. Barbone Street has used some of the guys in the Philly Pops as
substitutes in our jazz band over the years. Bob Gravener, a marvelous
Pops trumpeter who sat in with Kash is one we used several times as a
sub. He was also a member of the Keystone Five Dixieland Band in
Newtown PA. While he did not know some of the moldy fig numbers, he
surely new the American Songbook and Condon type songs that we played
whenever he subbed for our regular guy. Same for trombonist Brian
Pastor. And clarinetist Joe Smith subbed for me a time or two when I
couldn't make one of our gigs and/or was double booked.

Their opposites in the Philadelphia Orchestra are, for the most part,
are very different.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband