[Dixielandjazz] FW: BIAB file of Pink Panther

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Thu May 3 13:01:12 PDT 2012

More thoughts About Band In A Box:

It can be a useful tool for any musician, and is well worth the
purchase price in my mind.

1. Lots of free files out there. John Birchall in England has many,
many, OKOM charts. Some are open to debate about melody notes and
chords, but still very useful. And most musicians will share the files
they have built as well.

2. Singers keys. I mostly use BIAB to transpose tunes to "singers
keys". Once you have a reasonably accurate file, you can easily
transpose it and print it in the new key.

3. Harmony practice. When I need to develop a new clarinet harmony
part, I often play the tune in BIAB and play along, jotting down the
harmony notes. Also just a generally good practice aid when you have
no rhythm section available.

Most interesting, PG Music has kept backward compatibility so the
earliest files still seem to work. I wish other software companies
would have the same policy.

(No, it is not a scoring program like Finale or Sibelius, but what it
does, it does well.)

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net