[Dixielandjazz] Henry Ford - 1926 Newspaper

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed May 2 03:58:23 PDT 2012

How on earth did you happen upon a newspaper from 1926 Pat?>>

I was researching  a murder that took place locally on Christmas Day 1925 in
the local County records Office and it just caught my eye.

Old newspapers I have found to reflect just about the same problems we have
today.

For instance in the UK at the moment immigrants and the difficulty of
exporting them is a burning question.
I noticed in the 1926 newspaper a story that a black man named Darky` had
moved into a local `workhouse` (no doubt a hostel these days) He had done no
work,in return for his keep, which was the usual agreement. and refused to
leave. The authorities had tried to persuade him by explaining that he would
be taken to London by car, given a first class cabin on a ship and taken
home. They backed this up with beautiful pictures of Jamaica and talks
extolling he virtues of the island.
Darky however turned it all down explaining that he was very happy where he
was.
The locals were up in arms as it was costing a farthing (quarter of an old
penny) precept on their rates to maintain him.
Nowadays it would be infringing his human rights.
(Rates are money paid to the local authority to maintain local services)
Fascinating.

Pat