[Dixielandjazz] International Jazz Day

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 1 08:44:40 PDT 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 11:11 AM, domitype wrote:

> Steve,
> I think the question was why that particular date?
> I couldn't find any specific reason.
>
> David Richoux
>
> On May 1, 2012, at 9:53 AM, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net
> > wrote:
>
>> Luis Flores asked why April 30th was chosen for International Jazz
>> Day.

Perhaps the answer is another question. "Why not that particular
date?" <grin>

I think in this world of so many dates dedicated to one thing or
another, April 30th was probably chosen because most other dates
during April, (which had previously been chosen as "Jazz Month") were
dedicated to something else.

Also given the busy schedule of ambassador Herbie Hancock, and the
desire to have Paris as the kick-off city a few days before
celebrations in New Orleans and New York, April 30 was the only time
he had in which to make all 3 celebrations.

Those of us who have been members of a committee trying to choose a
particular date for an event, have no doubt gone through this kind of
process. A date is chosen because it works for most people involved,
interferes least with other similar type events and give folks enough
lead time to organize the event.

Imagine how tough choosing this date would have been. With cultural
attaches from every country in the UN having input. It's a miracle
they could even halfway agree on April 30. <grin>

That's my SWAG. (Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband