[Dixielandjazz] review of In a Mellow Tone CD in L.A. Jazz Scene paper

Melissa Collard melissa at melissacollard.com
Sat Mar 31 20:06:55 PDT 2012

Hi,
Hope you all are well and don't mind this little bit of blowing-one's-own-trumpet-musical-news from yours truly. Anyway it gives me an excuse to say hi, and extend my love and best wishes to you. I rarely do it, so I hope you don't mind me poking you in the inbox. (If you do please forgive me!)

Richard Simon recently let me know that Scott Yanow had reviewed our CD "In a Mellow Tone" in the March issue of L.A. Jazz Scene, a local Los Angeles rag. Attached is a scan he made for me so you can see this short but pithy review. (If any of you live in L.A. and have an extra copy I'd love a hard copy for the archives. It's nice to hear from my old hometown.) My heartfelt gratitude to Richard and the other musicians, Chris Dawson, Hal Smith, and Bryan Shaw, for their fine playing.

Mr. Yanow has also written several authoritative guides to different eras of jazz music, and is working on a book, "The Guitarists", which should be out soon. Incidentally, I am also included in Scott's book "The Jazz Singers: The Ultimate Guide. "
Amazon.com: The Jazz Singers: The Ultimate Guide: Scott Yanow: Books

Meanwhile, I continue to plow the frets at my weekly solo guitar/vocal restaurant gig, and will soon break ground on a new CD project with my husband, pianist Scott Collard (finally after 20 years!)

Best wishes,
Melissa Collard