[Dixielandjazz] Intercontinental Incontinence JB

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 22 07:43:16 PDT 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Richard Broadie wrote: (polite snip)

> Hi Steve and DJMLers.
>
> It's great fun to be able to recognize so many names and know you're
> still out there.  Just to bring you up to date, I left the BOD of
> the Dixieland Jazz Society of the Desert about 4 or more years ago.
> I don't believe it exists at this time.  We had a great 20+ year run
> with monthly meetings and our annual festival.  When I first lead
> the Dixie 111 Jazz Band I had about 40 players to chose from.  Now I
> find it diffult to put a 7 pc band together.  At at my weekly jam
> session, two of my best players, Colin Bray and Don Georgeson are
> only here during the season and then they disappear to Steve
> Voceland (aka UK) for months at a time. It's difficult to keep a
> band together under such circumstances.  20 years ago I was the kid
> on the block. Now days I still am.  Most of my players are either in
> wheel chairs or on walkers.  Today I suggested we put together a
> band from all over the world named the Intercontinental Incontinence
> JB, a group that would likely become quite well known for featuring
> extremely short sets and lots of breaks! :-) . . . .
>
> Weather in Philly was warmer that Palm Springs CA last week-end.
> What the @$#%&^*  is going on, anyway?
>
> Dick Broadie

Dear Dick:

I am very fortunate to have so many really good jazz, OKOM and
otherwise, musicians to choose from here in Philadelphia if a regular
band member can 't make it, or if I book several gigs at the same
time. For example, my regular trumpet player and I are working a
wedding on June 10 with banjo mavin Steve DiBonaventura. I also have a
"cancer survivor day " Barbone Street band gig for "The Prostate
Center" in King of Prussia at the same time. So I booked the rest of
the band and subbed for us.

Trumpet sub for the Prostate Center gig  is Al Harrison and clarinet
sub is Gil Bennett. They are both terrific players and the band will
be as good (or maybe better) because of them. <grin>

About the weather, it will be about 82 degrees here today and 84
degrees tomorrow. In the past, March weather has included cold
temperatures and some epic blizzards. Perhaps Philly is the new Palm
Springs or maybe the poles are starting to switch aas the earth
changes rotation angle,  in preparation for the Mayan predicted
December 22, End of the World? Now there's an excuse for a party.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband