[Dixielandjazz] FW: Negative peer pressure

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Mar 13 13:11:31 PDT 2012

Steve wrote:
>But the main point is that if we cannot attract young audiences to "Old
OKOM Venues", then we might play where the kids are in "Young OKOM Venues"
and see what happens.

As I stated earlier, we don't have that problem of young vs. old places.  A
joint's a joint here, and they all have a varied crowd.  They mostly are not
jazz fans, though.

Steve's suggestion of playing where the young folks are may require putting
up with a noise level higher than many are used to.  Actually, the band
might have to be amplified to levels not accustomed to, also.

Years ago a djmler & his wife visited us...can't even remember now the
names...the wife was Asian & was interested in the little toy frog I have in
my studio (said it was good luck).  Maybe that will bring someone forward to
say who they were (from California).  Anyway, we were playing a discoteque
that nite, and I'm sure they were both quite shocked by the stacks & stacks
of monitors, flashing strobe lights, and a very lively crowd! Not the usual
California OKOM scene, I'm sure!    :>

Jim