[Dixielandjazz] Barbecue Joe

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 13:22:04 PST 2012

Hello Listmates,
I have just come across "Weary Blues" by "Barbecue Joe and His Hot Dogs."
While I knew it was a pseudonym for Wingy Manone, I have found the
comment accompanying it rather strange:

"This band name, which is enough to make fans of good old American
cuisine begin salivating, was actually one of many bands led by the
classic jazz trumpeter and vocalist Wingy Manone. The recordings done
under the name of Barbecue Joe and His Hot Dogs in 1930 include a song
that was the basis for Glen Miller's massive hit of the swing era ,
"In The Mood". Manone had already fronted outfits such as Joe Manone's
Harmony Kings, Joe "Wingy" Manone and his Club Royale Orchestra, the
Arcadian Serenaders and Wingy Manone and his Orchestra, and why the
bandleader was in the mood to pose as Barbecue Joe has never really
been explained, although there was speculation that the Decca label,
upon purchasing these tracks in the early '40s, made use of the
pseudonym in order to pass off the records as the work of a white jazz
group."

And no, not the (implied" reference to "Tar Paper Blues" is waht
puzzles me - it is "the pass off the records as the work of a white
jazz group."  After all, Manone was white!
Cheers