[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Treasure of Vinyl Recordings found on Wake Island (AFRTS)

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Mar 8 17:09:57 PST 2012

A word from Ron Wheeler:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron wheeler" <ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net>
To: "RobertFCC Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com>; "DJML" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: Treasure of Vinyl Recordings found on Wake Island (AFRTS)

Hardly 'long lost', Bob. I'm still here in central Georgia ticking along.

As for the records, they were hardly 'obscure'. The old AFRTS studio, which
still had the FCC license -- long expired -- framed on the wall was part of my
area of responsibility there. Most of the disks were 'canned' AFRTS broadcasts
and maily from the rock 'n' roll era.

I'm pretty sure that no one on the island was not aware of the library's
existance and many borrowed disks for copying. Certainly the Air Force was aware
of it, since their people were responsible for loading up the turntables to play
the programming from early morning into the evening hours. Also, on at least two
occasions, inspection teams from the USAF inventoried the entire collection.

Sounds like the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

Ron