[Dixielandjazz] "Big Band Vocalists: My Music" reviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Mar 4 11:57:01 PST 2012

TV Review: Big Band Vocalists (My Music)
by Jack Goodstein
BlogCritics.org, March 3, 2012
The latest entry in the PBS fund raising series "My Music" is an anthology of what
they call "the greatest singers of the 1940's at the dawn of their careers," "Big
Band Vocalists." Hosted by Nick Clooney and Peter Marshall, the special uses vintage
performances from motion pictures and television shows both in black and white and
color. This is nostalgic footage that will bring back a lot of fond memories for
the grandparents among us and perhaps a raised eyebrow or two on any youngsters accidentally
tuned in.
The audience for this kind of show must inevitably skew old, and since it couldn't
skew much older than me, I must acknowledge that I found watching it a joyful journey
back in time. Frank Sinatra is a smooth cheeked young boy with dark wavy hair. Peggy
Lee is a fresh faced blond. Their voices and their songs are the sounds of my youth,
and what could be more endearing. Singers you haven't thought about in years -- Buddy
Clark, Dick Haymes -- come back to awaken great memories. Fifty years from now, I
would imagine a new crop of old timers will feel the same about Adele and Katy Perry.
Featuring twenty or so performances, highlights include Bob Eberle and Helen O'Connell
singing "Green Eyes" with the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, The Andrews Sisters decked
out in WACs uniforms doing their classic "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree" with the
Harry James band, and Dinah Shore taking an uncharacteristic blues turn with Duke
Ellington's Orchestra with "Blues in the Night." Perry Como pokes some fun at his
famous laid back image as he fronts the Ted Weems Orchestra in "I Wonder Who's Kissing
Her Now." The younger Crosby boy, Bob, does his "Big Noise from Winnetka" along with
a bravura turn by its composer bassist Bob Haggart and drummer Ray Bauduc.
Nat King Cole and Tony Martin do a song and dance routine with "On the Sunny Side
of the Street," and Martin does a little impression of Ted Lewis. Louis Armstrong
is at his wild-eyed best in "I Can't Give You Anything But Love." It seems somewhat
odd if not downright absurd that with all the great black vocalists of the period,
these are the only singers who managed to make it into the special. The same could
be said for the fact that the Duke Ellington Orchestra is the only black band included.
Frank Sinatra sings Cole Porter's "Night and Day" strolling amongst a bevy of beauties
playing grand pianos and violins dressed in elegant tales in a typical over the top
'40's production number. Helen Forrest, and a largely augmented Harry James Orchestra,
do "I Had the Craziest Dream" to open the show in another Hollywood production with
a few extras dressed as Indians alongside the bandstand. Alice Faye's "You'll Never
Know" and Dick Haymes' "You Send Me" are more subdued and spotlight the singers.
Clearly the great moment of the show is the glorious Kate Smith with orchestra and
chorus singing Irving Berlin's "God Bless America" complete with the rarely heard
verse.
"Big Band Vocalists (My Music)" is set to air in March as part of special programming
on PBS stations. Viewers will have to check local listings for time and date in their
area.
http://blogcritics.org/video/article/tv-review-big-band-vocalists-my

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"History is just one damn thing after another!"  -Anonymous