[Dixielandjazz] Jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:24:33 PST 2012

Hello listmates,
At tonight's jazz evening we heard some pretty good music: the
Preservation Hall Jazz Band with Wendell Brunious, Frank Demond and
Dr. Michale White (I didn't know he recorded with the PHJB), Buddy de
Franco (some of it - not all - sounded like Armstrong's definition of
bebop: "Too many notes, too fast), Basie Alumni, Charlie Shavers,
Ellingtonia with various small bands featuring Ben Webster, Paul
Gonsalves, Buddy Tate, Tyree Glenn, etc.  Nevertheless, everybody
thought that the best CD we heard was Al Fairweather on Lake,
featuring, inter alia, the Dirty Bopper, Dick Heckstall-Smith (before
first hearing that CD, I thought that he was a modernist) and -
unbelievable - Kenny Ball, who did not sound anything like his
familiar Dixieland xound!
Cheers