[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Ventura

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 10:28:19 PDT 2012

Most of "Bebop for the People" looks good.  I wonder why I haven't
purchased it at the time - those Proper boxed sets were great value
for money.
Or perhaps I know - the length of the Jackie Cain and Roy Kral
sessions would have rendered it a three-CD rather than four as far as
I am concerned, and Buddy Stewart wasn't such a great singer, either.
I have the Ventura/Bill Harris "Live at the Three Deuces" CD -
generous playing time, high quality music.  The Proper set has three
numbers.
Despite what you've said, neither JJ Johnson nor Buddy de Franco are
there, but Jonson's Buddy Kai Winding is.  For the most part,
musicians I wouldn't mind, even if not all are favourites of mine.  I
wonder about the big bnd sides.
Cheers