[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Ventura + Bebop For The People

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Sat Jun 23 07:20:46 PDT 2012

Thank you Marek for helping me to remember.
As for my part, I tried to buy all of the recordings by this group.
My special favorites were the vocal sides featuring Jackie (Kain)
and Roy (Kral). I was luck enough to hear the Charlie Ventura
group live, many times during their stints in Birdland from 1949
through 1955. From what I understand Jackie and Roy are still
recording.
In my opinion, Ventura always had a great sound and sense of style.
At live performances he often switched from Tenor to Baritone sax.
I never heard him try to compete or try to play like Bird or Stitt.
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com